Dental braces are an excellent means of teeth straightening. They can dramatically affect your appearance, but importantly, orthodontics can correct TMJ disorder as well as reduce your susceptibility to dental decay and periodontal disease.
Typically, orthodontic treatment consists of the application of small ceramic or metal brackets to the teeth. These brackets are attached to an arch wire which helps shape the teeth. Often springs and rubber bands are also used to help move the teeth.
Treatment usually takes from one to three years to complete. The amount of time depends on the cooperation of the patient and the difficulty of the case. Once treatment is over, it may be necessary to use a retainer for several years; however, in some cases, a small permanent retainer can be bonded to the teeth.
Types of Braces
The type of braces you get depends on a number of factors:
- The extent of your treatment, such as:
- The severity of your bite or tooth crookedness problems
- If extractions are necessary
- If jaw surgery is necessary
- If headgear or other special appliances are necessary
- The amount of time you will need to wear braces
- The preferences of your dentist or orthodontist
- How much you are willing to pay
- How long you will be in braces to correct your problems
- What you desire. Would you feel embarrassed in metal? Are you only willing to straighten your teeth if Invisalign is used? Do you prefer the look of ceramic or sapphire? Or don’t you care, as long as the outcome is good?
1. Conventional Metal Braces: Metal braces (stainless steel) are the most popular type of braces used. Many patients enjoy having different colours placed on their braces as a means of personal expression and fun. Because it’s so simple to change the colours, feel free to swap them at every visit to the dentist. Treatment usually takes from one to three years to complete.
2. Clear Ceramic Braces: Clear ceramic braces are an aesthetic alternative for those who don’t want their braces to show as much. Clear braces move your teeth in exactly the same way as metal braces do. Like metal braces, they are extremely comfortable to wear and very efficient at moving teeth. Treatment also usually takes from one to three years to complete.
3. Lingual Braces: Lingual braces are the state-of-the-art design that offers an amazing technological advancement in orthodontic treatment. Orthodontic treatment consists of the application stainless-steel brackets. Initial discomfort is similar to that of traditional braces. Treatment usually takes from one to three years to complete. The amount of time depends on the cooperation of the patient and the difficulty of the case. Once treatment is over, it may be necessary to use a retainer for several years.
4. Invisalign Invisible Braces: Another popular method for straightening teeth is Invisalign. Invisalign braces are great for people who do not have severe problems. The “braces” consist of strong plastic trays that are fabricated especially for you. They are indeed invisible. If your bite is not severely off and your teeth are not severely crooked, then Invisalign would be a good choice. You would be able to get your proper teeth alignment without anyone seeing that you are wearing “braces”! These are mainly braces for adults, who are more comfortable wearing invisible braces. However, if your bite is very bad, if you need extractions or require headgear or other appliances, then Invisalign will not work for you; you will need to wear traditional braces.
Dental Braces Cost in India
India is one of the most famous dental tourism destinations as it provides affordable dental braces for both adults and children alike. Different dental problems need different treatment modalities and different duration of treatment time. So the fees are decided according to the condition to be treated. The treatment fees differ from patient to patient as their conditions differ. The fees may vary from Rs.10, 000/- for minor corrections to Rs.50, 000/- or more for the correction of severe irregularities. The fees for treatment with clear and invisible braces may be between Rs.50, 000/- to Rs.1, 00,000/-.
Orthodontic treatment costs so much because the treatment goes on for a long duration. There are certain expenses incurred to maintain a high level of sterilization of equipment and asepsis of the clinic. The appliances used are expensive. Thus some amount is spent for the patients themselves.
The fees are professional charges for the knowledge, experience and skill of the dentist. Considering the long term, positive, physical and psychological benefits of orthodontic treatment whatever spent on orthodontic treatment should be considered as a sound investment.